A few years into writing my novel I wanted to do something more fun and light, and really try to present superpowers via prose. It started as very philosophical/metaphysical and I based the title on the idea that there would be twenty-six chapters connecting it to the alphabet and I guess trying to present a new visual language for action/adventure in text format.
Superman, Save Their Minds
This was the first experiment. Kind of like an informercial, giving you a small action scene to play with how best to present superhuman powers, and bits of inspirational mantras to help cement the idea that anyone can have powers with the right mindframe. Enlightenment is the new radioactive isotope or alien visitor.
Run For Your Life
After the first one, I wanted to get into the character of Thrust, our superspeedster hero. And I wanted the relationship in his life to be more focused on his altercations with supervillains, or rather, that there are no clear cut bad guys robbing banks, but instead a jumble of people with powers all making a mess of things and no matter how fantastic it gets, it all comes down to our interactions with one another.
the Chase
Having dabbled with the relationship, I decided to amp things up a bit. I go into a bit more realistic detail with Thrust's physical interactions with New York City and explore the basic dilemma in relationships, do you stay with the girl or do you pursue the abstract and mythical feminine. Superspeeding away from commitment, and towards the endless pursuit.
TWENTYSIX Part 2
TWENTYSIX Part 3
No comments:
Post a Comment