A few years into writing my novel I wanted to do something more fun and light, and really try to present superpowers via prose. It started as very philosophical/metaphysical and I based the title on the idea that there would be twenty-six chapters connecting it to the alphabet and I guess trying to present a new visual language for action/adventure in text format.
This is the third and final batch of the superhero romance story Twentysix. I'll eventually return to the character of Thrust but hopefully in comic book format. I may go back to these type of stories though if there's interest. Out of the more fantastical things I've written this was the batch I came back to as a marker of a very hectic, confusing, adventurous dating life in NYC. Below are some of the more personal yet more fictional representations of my life.
third eye x 3rd-i part a
third eye x 3rd-i part b
When I wrote this I was in a very self-absorbed time in my life. Finally single for the first time in nearly 7 years. I was twenty nine and living in NYC, just finally striking out on my own. With a year experience in the city I started hanging out and going on dates. All the female adversaries in this story are alternate personas of girls I date at the time. I didn't see how I was objectifying them and sometimes demonizing them in order to handle the intense emotional vulnerability I felt. Often there's a theme of escape in my work, this one in particular.
Ballad of Joy Random: Act 1
Ballad of Joy Random: Act 2
Ballad of Joy Random: Act 3
This was really an intense trilogy. When I finally decided to start seeing someone consistently it was a very troubled relationship. Here I started with objectifying her by putting her on a pedestal in act 1. In act 2 I show the internal hate and rage I had felt from years of getting taken advantage of by everyone in my life, but especially girls. And then in Act 3 I wrote that as a wrap-up/apology after the girl in question read Act 2 and spent a whole day crying. We had broken up already but I guess seeing such horrible things from your ex-boyfriend's head about you is just too much. I was too self-absorbed to see it at the time, and it played a big part of why I stopped this series.
That said I think it's a great representation of the stages of relationships for me and in the end, I think having written them helped me identify negative personal patterns and help to correct them.
TWENTYSIX Part 1
TWENTYSIX Part 2
No comments:
Post a Comment